Friday, September 18, 2026

FLORIDA KEYS
KEY WEST
HARRY S TRUMAN LITTLE WHITE HOUSE

I can’t remember today exactly when I learned about the Harry S Truman Little White House in Key West. My recollection is that it happened once we arrived in Key West in January 2017. It’s possible it showed up in the tourist information literature I came across in Marathon. 

The Little White House is at 111 Front St., Key West, and I remember vividly that visitors were not allowed to shoot pictures of the inside, even though we paid the price of the guided tour. So I grabbed the photos I could on the outside, all of which you see in this post. 

I did enjoy the tour, where we learned the house was built in 1890 as naval officers housing; at the time, the site was part of a U.S. naval base, and the house had an unobstructed view of the ocean. The campus has been built up since, and there is no longer an ocean view.

Although it had been used by President William Howard Taft in 1912, it became prominent in presidential history whenTruman started spending considerable time there — 175 days of his presidency, from 1946 through 1952. After him, presidents Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton also stayed there. 

In 2001, it was the site of international peace talks between the presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan.

The structure ceased being part of a naval base in March 1974 when the naval base was “disestablished.”

Standard museum tours for adults start at about $24 to $27 per person, with children ages 4–12 costing about $10 and children 3 and under free. Purchasing tickets directly through the Harry S Truman Little White House official website often provides the best direct baseline rates compared to third-party resellers.








Above and below: Wall hangings and a sculpted bust of Truman in the reception area of the house.






No comments:

Post a Comment

<CENTER>GEORGIA<BR>SAVANNAH<BR>COLONIAL PARK CEMETERY</CENTER>

  If you know nothing about life in Savannah during the Civil War, you’ll learn something about it from the driver/guides of the local troll...