Friday, September 4, 2026

FLORIDA
FLORIDA KEYS
MARATHON
SOMBRERO BEACH

 

One of the first things we wanted to do in the Florida Keys on the January 2017 trip was to find a quality beach. 

I’m not a “lie in the sun” person; my sole interest was photography, and I brought along my circular polarizing filter to use on Canon 6D because I knew there’d be lots of opportunity to use it for sky and water pictures. Indeed, it would be a prime chance to exploit the polarizer’s ability to enhance sky coloring, to bring out cloud detail and to minimize glare on the water.

The first use of the filter, at Sombrero Beach, was a rousing success, I felt. Sombrero was the near-unanimous recommendation of Marathon locals when I asked for a great beach on that Key.

On Jan. 16, 2017, the day I visited Sombrero Beach, clouds were spectacular, and I saw good opportunity to enhance sky blues and aqua waters using the polarizing filter. These photos hopefully attest to that, beginning with the long-range perspective shot leading off the post. 

We weren’t at this beach for very long, so the volume of photos is comparatively low; we spent a much longer time the following week at Bahia Honda State Park on Bahia Honda Key, whose beach is larger than Sombrero’s, and consequently, there was much more to explore there. Below, the final two photos were taken partially looking into the sun, so colors are not quite as rich.

Sombrero Beach faces the ocean and is public, and there is no admission fee. However, the metered street parking there costs $5 per hour for the first two hours and $2 per hour thereafter. Beach amenities include ADA-accessible paved walkways, shaded picnic pavilions with grills, restrooms, outdoor showers, a covered children’s playground and volleyball courts. There are no concessions, so bring your own food and drinks. Dogs on leashes are allowed.

Rather than spend a lot of time clogging up the post with any more text, I’ll proceed with pictures. As usual, if you’d like to see a larger, sharper version of an image, click on the image. This is particularly important if you access the blog using a mobile device. For a full gallery of my shots at Sombrero Beach, follow the link in this sentence.















No comments:

Post a Comment

<CENTER>GEORGIA<BR>SAVANNAH<BR>COLONIAL PARK CEMETERY</CENTER>

  If you know nothing about life in Savannah during the Civil War, you’ll learn something about it from the driver/guides of the local troll...